Thursday, August 13, 2009

Endemic "Pig's" Flu - A Pessimist Thought?

First of all, I apologize for not updating this blog. The apology is mainly for myself for breaking the promise I made myself. However, I do have valid reasons but that is irrelevant now... No, it wasn't due to FaceBook. :)

Secondly, what happen to Swine Flu term? I noticed RTM and TV3 and Astro Awani and others no longer use it... Well, some international medias still use it though. Supposed the Art Minister say something I wasn't aware of. *shrug*

Now the title, when WHO announced Influenza A(H1N1) Spread Cannot Be Stopped in July this year, I fear this may become a reality. Will a pandemic (global) become an endemic ("local" - note the quote sign) eventually?

Definition of "endemic":
  1. a disease that is constantly present to a greater or lesser degree in people of a certain class or in people living in a particular location;
  2. of or relating to a disease (or anything resembling a disease) constantly present to greater or lesser extent in a particular locality
Definition of "pandemic"
  1. an epidemic that is geographically widespread; occurring throughout a region or even throughout the world
  2. (epidemic over a wide geographical area) "a pandemic outbreak of malaria"
  3. (existing everywhere) "pandemic fear of nuclear war"


Related posts:
Piggy Flu
Piggy Birdie Homo Flu

1 comment:

MariaFaizal said...

KY my friend,
I'm wearing this mask each day, day in day out work, home, supermarket to buy groceries. Still I fear for my children and this fear just won't go away... We have yet to go out for baju raya shopping spree due this fear of mine :(

I double the dose of vitamin C for my children, bathe them in Dettol solution,bought them masks esp for toddlers,yet my hubby would be so laid back not wearing the mask :(

Am I too paranoid? Coz that's what hubby said. Help!